Monday, January 11, 2016

In search of another Guru



I know it is my track record but no, I am not writing another post on spirituality frauds ;-) This post is about the legendary film maker Guru Dutt.
I am intrigued and awestruck by Dutt's films, the seamless quality of their screenplays, the richness and beauty of dialogues, strong male and female characters, remarkable acting and last but not the least use of meaningful melodious songs. Apart from Rajesh Khanna and Dev Anand, Guru Dutt has been my most beloved Bollywood personality.
Some incredible films by Guru Dutt are 'Pyaasa', 'Chaudhavin ka Chand', 'Kagaj ke phool', 'Baazi', 'Mr. & Mrs. 55', 'Aar paar', 'CID', 'Sahib Biwi Aur Gulam', 'Bahurani'.

The world we live in is full of jealousy/ hatred, everything revolves around money, relationships are temporary, people are friends only when in need, the ones who call you family might even be the first ones to strike you with bad words and Pyaasa brilliantly captures the dark side of the world.
Do you think there are great writers and poets in the world who go unnoticed because we are too busy reading crap like Fifty shades of Grey? Pyaasa is a story of an incredible poet whose depth of poetry is not understood by the publishers. I feel most of us confuse art with entertainment. In the realm of the visual, we want to see and read something pleasant, something that is not abstract, I think most of the artists create entertainment (and not art) to survive.

May be I like Pyaasa so much as my version of the world is quite similar to what is shown in the film. As one of the song in the movie says - Yeh Mehlo, Yeh Takhto, Yeh Taajo Ki Duniya, Yeh  Insaan Ke Dushman Samaajo Ki Duniya, Yeh Daulat Ke Bhookhe Riwaajo Ki  Duniya, Yeh Duniya Agar Mil Bhi Jaayeh To Kya Hain? - This world of palaces, thrones, and crowns, This world of societies that resent humanity, This world of those hungry for material wealth, What is this world to me, even if I can have it (In short it means nothing to me).


Dev Anand thought that Dutt wasn't a good actor (I read in his interview) but I love Dutt as an actor. Dutt's acting doesn't seem to have a method, process or any style, and so it is extremely subtle and real. The men that I see around are not Hritik Roshans, Dev Anands or Salman Khans they are more Amol Palekars, Rakesh Roshans and Guru Dutts, simple, enigmatic and elegant.
I wonder if Dutt portrayed himself in Pyaasa and Kagaj ke phool. He died too young, he should have made more films. We as an audience missed out on a lot. I am always in search of movies that are of Pyaasa's caliber, I wonder if the industry too is in search of another Guru!

No comments: