Monday, April 28, 2014

Book Reviews : April 2014

1. Mind Body Medicine : The science of Optimal Health - Jason M. Satterfield

This is an audio/video series of 36 lectures, each covering different topics like why some people catch cold, exercise, sleep, stress, depression, personality types and diseases, cardiovascular diseases.
The most interesting part was listening about new research in the field of biology. I listened to one chapter everyday and almost for a month talked about just these lectures to everyone around me. I strongly recommend you listen to this series. I give it 5/5.




2. Monk who sold his Ferrari - Robin Sharma

 This book gives a step-by-step approach to living with greater courage, balance, abundance, and joy. I absolutely loved the book and wondered why I didn't read it earlier. I give it 5/5.




3. Fermat's Last Theorem - Simon Singh



I majored in Mathematics, I assure you I am not good at it. I did it simply because I love problem solving. During last year of graduation we had 9 different subjects in Math like Real Analysis, Modern Analysis, Complex Analysis and what not. Each having hundreds of theorems and their proofs. None of the textbooks mentioned where these theorems were applied, how are they used in the real world? I found it frustrating. Fermat's Last Theorem is a book that covers the story of how Fermat's last theorem was proved in the 90s. The book is very well written, it has a mystery kind of a feel to it but again fails to make readers understand if the proof helped resolve any real world problems? or was it just a challenge for people who like to play with numbers and find some random co-relations between them. I give it 4/5.




1 comment:

Priyaranjan Anand Marathe said...

Looks like you are on a reading spree. Rather I would say that you are a disciplined reader. I am trying to read quite few books on photography and also "The Myth of the Strong Leader". I want to read and understand the latter, too much of Modi Nam around. Keep reading and writing..