Thursday, November 29, 2012

Sea of poppies - Amitav Ghosh

Sea of poppies - Amitav Ghosh
Book Review


I read this book because Aamir Khan said it's a good book (on twitter). So I stopped reading 'Wings of Fire' and started with this book. I read/ watch whatever Aamir Khan recommends, not that I like all of it. Art/ beauty is subjective. A book which was nominated for the Booker prize award can be tedious and boring for some readers like me.

The premise of the book is awesome and unique. The story revolves around a tumultuous voyage across the Indian Ocean shortly before the outbreak of the Opium Wars in China. I thought the book is very long and gives tedious (and non engrossing) details like how the room looked how was the lighting; furniture etc. Many dialogues are in a language that I didn't understand (Bhojpuri?).

This book had a lullaby effect on me. I would read 20 pages each night and then sleep like a baby.
But of course, give it a try, you might happen to like it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah .. read the book 2 years back ... n then followed it up with river of smoke... and waiting for the last one in trilogy... hope it would be as good as first two