Wednesday, March 30, 2022

My funny valentine


Have you heard the song ‘my funny valentine’? When I heard it the first time I laughed, but when I heard it again I understood the depth of the song - since then it has become one of my favorite songs. 
It goes like this -

My funny valentine
Sweet comic valentine
You make me smile with my heart
Your looks are laughable
Unphotographable
Yet you're my favourite work of art


Is your figure less than greek
Is your mouth a little weak
When you open it to speak
Are you smart?

But don't change a hair for me
Not if you care for me
Stay little valentine stay
Each day is Valentine’s Day


The song says I love you irrespective of all your human  failings.

It is a song about the reality of human love: true love endures even when romance and fantasies become reality. To love each other despite all our earthbound constraints is a testament of true love. 

The title tells us there is something funny about his valentine, but yet she makes him smile in his heart. Remember he doesn’t talk about lust, passion, fire that he feels… he talks about a smile.

I mean out of everything that life has to offer from passion to beauty who wouldn’t want to be with someone who makes them smile every day? And then every day becomes a valentine day…That kind of simplicity is something everyone would crave for.

Then he says your looks are laughable, Unphotographable, yet you are my favorite work of art.

Every other romantic song that we hear talks about how the guy falls for the beauty of the girl’s face and body. But here he says ‘is your figure less than Greek, is your mouth a little weak, when you open to speak are you smart?’ So he doesn’t care if her mouth is a little small but he cares when she opens it if she is smart. 

And I have experienced this from time and again, when I found people extremely attractive but they opened their mouth to speak and I am completely turned off within 2 seconds. Isn’t that how reality is? How many people can bear to be with just good looks if they can not have a meaningful conversation with the person if they can’t smile with the person? Feel light and bright in the heart than having any intense feelings of passion and lust…

Anyway, I think you get the gist. I hope everyone finds their funny valentine.

No comments: