Saturday, July 18, 2020

Four Favorites


Here are my most favorite 4 writers in the science genre -
  • Carl Sagan - Carl Sagan's books are by far the best books in the science genre (amongst the ones that I have come across). He is revered upon by most of the scientists even today. His writing has this philosophical side to it that I LOVE. Some great books by Carl Sagan are Pale Blue Dot, Cosmos and The Demon Haunted World.



  • Richard Dawkins
    -In my teens when I looked around I felt a disconnect with the world. Temples, churches, mosques, god, rituals, religions, prayers... I did not understand it's meaning or it's necessity. I felt inferior, I felt I was one of these lowly creatures who lacks the most important thing that drives the world - faith. I lacked faith and I still do. When I asked questions like 'if god made us what made god' people looked at me as if I was an idiot. Then someone introduced me to Richard Dawkins and his books, then it dawned on me that it was more than normal to ask 'why', to ponder/ wonder and mostly question the various aspects of existence. Then there was no looking back for me, I read all his books, he saved me from feeling lowly about myself. Did he turn me into an atheist? No! I always was an atheist, all I needed was an affirmation that I am on the right path, the path of science.I LOVE all of his books. I feel this strong emotional bond for Dawkins as if he is my Guru/ teacher/ mentor. Some great books by Dawkins are - The Selfish Gene, The God Delusion, The Blind Watchmaker, The Greatest Show on Earth, Ancestor's Tale, The magic of reality.

  • Neil Degrasse Tyson
    - He makes astrophysics sound so easy and comprehensible even for laymen like me. It is one thing to have knowledge and another to express in words that anyone and everyone would be able to understand, and Tyson has that skill. I love all his TV shows as well, he has this amazing, positive, chirpy personality too. Another interesting fact that I want to unabashedly tell you is I have had this strong undying crush on Tyson for years. Intelligence + personality combo is quite sexy. Some good books by Tyson are - Astrophysics for people in a hurry, death by black hole, Space chronicles, Origins.



  • Michio Kaku - I like his books because it always has information on latest- advancements, growth, progress, discoveries, inventions, instruments, techniques and whatnot. His books are fairly easy to understand. I feel in awe of scientists and the kind of progress that they are making. Some amazing books by Kaku are - Physics of the impossible, Parallel worlds, Future of the mind (I want to read all books he wrote).
I know from time and again I keep writing these kind of book/ writer reviews, in hope that someone will read them and pick up a science book for themselves and for their kids, I also hope that the new generation is taught astronomy over astrology, science over religion and logic over beliefs!
They say 'The more the universe seems comprehensible, the more it also seems pointless' and I say 'the more that one reads science, the more religion, wars etc. seem pointless'.

No comments: