Saturday, October 12, 2019

People Pleaser


It is human nature to want to fit-in, to belong, to be part of the ‘in’ crowd. A lot of you would accept (at least to yourself) that you are people pleasers.

I, amongst many others that I know, do not spend time pleasing people because

1. I am okay with being disliked,

2. People have bizarre kinds of expectations and objections, even though they never are up to the mark themselves. I am sure you have been through situations where you thought that people can have such nonsensical expectations and objections? I will give you one example, I took my own blankets and pillow to someone's house for a sleepover, because I wasn't sure if they would have enough for so many guests coming over to their house that too in winter. Can you guess what the host gossiped about me... that I carried my own blankets, while they should have been happy that I was considerate. I till today laugh at the whole thing... how bizarre can people's objections and observations be... It in a way shows how people need to grow up.

Anyway, the point is it is impossible to please all the people all the time, and some negative people can never be pleased whatever you do, a lot of people lack empathy. We should rather do our own thing and some will be pleased, at least some of the times ;-). 

If everyone likes you, then someone is definitely lying to you :) Do not feel the need for anyone’s approval and be undeterred by people’s opinions. Be clear about what you like and dislike, the kind of people you would want to meet and not meet. 

There are so many better things one can do with the time that they have, be it as trivial as taking a nap.…or read/write/paint or be around amazing people than to spend time fulfilling bizarre expectations.

As they say ‘You can not be afraid to not be liked. This fear limits you from being ALL of you’. I just want to live being me and be able to do things according to the circumstances and situations in life without being worried about what people are expecting from me or what are they objecting about. 

I do not have any intention of wasting this short presence on earth thinking about trivial objections, life is so vast, so BIG, there is so much one can do with time. I feel being a people pleaser restricts us from creating what we want to create and do what we want to do.

No comments: